Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Different Perspectives in the Deep Blue Sea

Fishfishfish (Three-Story Books) - Lee Nordling, Meritxell Bosch

This easy graphic novel is another 'three story book' where there are three stories being told in the book.  One follows panels across the top, one the middle and one follows the panels across the bottom of the page.

There is a lot going on here, it's a very fun book to introduce kids not only to different perspectives, but also to word play.  Even in the title, FishFishFish we see that the word fish can mean a small lone fish, a large barracuda and even a large 'school' of fish.  There is also the word play in the series name "three story book" since the panels line up like the a building with multiple stories.

Through the story we the little yellow fish as he/she tries to escape the hungry barracuda..  Finally, he joins the school of fish and they team up to defeat the barracuda.  Lesson beingteamwork and learn that even small fish can make a big impact if they work together.  It would be easy to read this with a child and skip over the middle section where the barracuda attempts and fails to catch his dinner.   That leaves us with the wonderful message about teamwork = survival.

However, there is another lesson to learn here.  Even though the barracuda tries really hard to get what he wants, in the end he doesn't get it.  That's life.  Perhaps if the barracuda gathered some friends they'd be more successful at catching some of fish.  I'd use dolphins as my example, dolphins will team up and take turns driving their fish prey towards their waiting partner.

Though I somewhat criticize the book for making the little yellow fish and the school of fish cute and the barracuda ugly and grumpy looking, it's still a nice book that would encourage kids to speak, since there are no words in the book, to describe what they're seeing, tell the story in their own words, and has a good message about teamwork.