Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

The Wall

The Other Side of the Wall - Simon Schwartz

The other side of the wall is about Simon Schwartz, who was born two years before me in East Germany.  Although his parents were born in East Germany they spent years trying to leave it.  At first everything seemed normal to him growing up visiting his grandparents in East Berlin, until he realized that other children were able to visit their grandparents without going through a crossing point and that other children had two sets, whereas he only visited one.

His father's parents were still members of the Socialist party in Germany and believers in the German Democratic Republic.  He had a hard time accepting that they needed to leave, but once that hard decision was made, an even harder battle, actually leaving.

The story looks both at Schwartz's young life in West Germany, as well as what his parents went through to move their family there when he was just a baby.

A very interesting look at a particular family affected by the Wall.  I'd recommend this, especially for those who are learning about the Berlin Wall in school, this puts a face on history, informative storytelling.