Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Wondrous Strange

The Wondrous Strange: The Wyeth Tradition - Howard Pyle, Jamie Wyeth

Are you an artist seeking inspiration?  A writer looking for a good prompt?  Wondrous Strange is just the book for you.

If you read the foreword and introduction about the artists and their connections and the time periods represented here, that's one thing, even the thought of conveying emotion rather than drawing from still life was inspirational.  Swedenborgianism again, this mysterious religion that seems to pop up every now and then in books I read.  Everything about this book sparks new ideas.

Painting/illustration and literature are linked very clearly in this book, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, but what they really should say is, great illustrations tell stories.

What struck me most was that most of these images, while beautiful, were most often hauntingly so.  There were many here that sent a little shiver down my spine and others that I wouldn't want to study too closely before bed!

In this art book one could make up a thousand stories for each page and still not have reached the limit.