Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Warrior Mice and Santa Anna's Leg!?

Baldwin the Brave and Other Tales Mouse Guard (Hardback) - Common - David Petersen The Leg: The Remarkable Reappearance of Santa Anna's Disembodied Limb - Van Jensen, Jose Pimienta

What I liked most about the Baldwin the Brave collection was the awesome gender equality among the characters, women and men were warriors, artists, makers, storytellers, guardians, and parents.

This was a great introduction to the Warrior Mice series by David Petersen, I can definitely see myself reading more, even though high fantasy, even with adorable mice, hasn't been my favorite genre for a long time.

Readers who enjoyed The stuff of Legend  by Mike Raicht would enjoy this series as well no doubt.  Might help while we wait for the next volume of Stuff of Legend to come out...it's been 5 years!  Come on!

The Leg was a bizarre story, the reappearance of Santa Anna's Disembodied limb, is not about as I expected a strange discovery, like finding Einstein's brain in some university archive, but about the limb itself getting up and having adventures, and learning something about revenge and friendship on the way.

It starts out with a companionable, though lonely, existence with a cobbler.  A band of young toughs arrive and kill the cobbler.  Vowing revenge the Leg/boot follows the men.  Throughout the story the boot, soon accompanied by a young orphan girl, the two encounter many bizarre things on the way, sometimes the plot was a little confusing, sometimes is was just too surreal having the hero be a leg in a boot.

I never did decide if that was a kneecap sticking up from the boot...or a spoon.

Even so, if one is looking for something far from the indie auto-bio comics and the superhero nonsense, this may just be it.