Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Not entirely Princeless

Princeless Book Two: Get Over Yourself

By Jeremy Whitley

I admit I haven't read the first volume of this series yet (don't you hate it when you get library requests all out of order!?), but I went ahead and read it anyway.  And it turns out, I'm not sure I want to bother with either the beginning or the end of this story.

I decided to request this series because the name implied that it would be an empowering tale following girl heroes and defying girly stereotypes.  And it's true that the author was obviously going for that, it is great to see the diversity of characters in the series, but I didn't feel it was especially empowering for girls.

I was struck dumb when I saw the family tree, all the sisters being completely true to some box label or another.  We have the beautiful stuck up sister, the gothic-emo one, the goody-goody cute one, etc.

At another point the two main characters, A and B wake up to realize that A has frizzy hair and B (because she is a half-dwarf) has grown a large mustache.  Normally for the two this would be no big deal, but since they are traveling with a dude, they both scramble to primp before he can see them, all while giving pathetic excuses and saying, they don't even like him, but well, "You know!"

Yes, I do know, all women are subjected to this goddess image.  We must impress men with our looks because, well what else do we have right?  And we must impress them because without some man's adoration, we'd just shrivel up and die, right?  Thumbs down.

I was also annoyed by the ads that punctuated each issue.  When binding them all together into a volume, why not just have one set of ads at the back?  That took me out of the story.

I really wanted the Black Knight to be revealed as a woman, but their identity remains unknown.  I appreciate that A is out there putting herself, as a woman, an undisguised lady knight, and it was liberating to see her using her brain to win the day, as well as admitting when she needed help, but still, not really the empowering message it was meant to be in my opinion.

I mean, I hate to be sexist, but it was written by a dude, and I hate it when some guy thinks I need him to save me from gender inequality...