Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Doctors to Death

Doctors - Dash Shaw

A very strange comic that switches in the narrative between a few intertwined lives.

Bell is a rich, but lonely woman, who slips at the pool, hitting her head and sending herself into a coma.

Tammy is the daughter of a scientist, they work together inventing a method to bring people back from death, or near death states, but she finds herself not knowing whether she is alive at all.

Will works with Tammy and her father, but wonders through life not sure what he's looking for, wondering at the point of it all, looking for reason.

Tammy acts as a guide to Bell through her bizarre 'afterlife' dream state.  She's been in the afterlife creating a much happier world for herself in her mind, including a new boyfriend.  Once Tammy awakens her to the fact that she is dead and everything she sees is just illusion of her own mind she finds herself back in her old lonely life where she must decide to live or go back to the fantasy.

Tammy feels smothered by her domineering father who always says, No.  She wants to take the business in a new direction and feels that their clients need more support than the company offers and should focus less on just making money.

It goes on like that exploring some pretty dark thoughts, like what happens after we die, and also, what is money worth if we are not happy, how to find companionship, etc.  It's a interesting narrative, though I wished it would have been fleshed out a little more.

I would definitely read Dash Shaw work again, this would be something I think those who like the Mind Management series by Kindt would enjoy, though it's much shorter.