Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Uplifter

Shoplifter - Michael Cho

A short and beautifully illustrated two tone graphic depicting the life of English major turned bored and disillusioned ad-writer.  Lonely and feeling adrift in a future she hadn't imagined or prepared for, Corinna Park lifts the occasional magazine (magazines only, she promises!) off the corner convenience store.  For confidence reasons.

The world around her seems devoid of true human contact beyond the advertisements that bombard the populace, and from which it seems no one can turn away, when a chance encounter and some friendly advice strengthen her resolve and she makes a choice.

A very good and timely work, I really enjoyed it.  Though there has been a long standing joke about English majors and their lucrative careers in fast food or other careers outside the Poet/Writer expectations of the degree holders, it is also true that many other graduates are finding the same thing.  No jobs available in the field associated with their degrees.  I'm sure a lot of people would empathize with Corinna's feelings and in turn would feel hopeful by her decisions.